Sunday, August 13, 2006

I hate airport security

and I have for a while. It's annoying and useless for the most part. There has to be a better way. The War on Toothpaste is absurd.

But more than the TSA screeners and arbitrary carry-on rules and demeaning questions, I hate people who think that the answer is allow passenger profiling. It seems so obvious to me, and yet I never see it explained. If we resort to racial profiling in airports or any other kind of official, government security, then we're losing the fundamental basis of our system of beliefs - that we are all equal. Remember that? The self-evident truths part? That we're all created equal? That's our whole jam, folks. That no one is better or worse because of who they were born. It may not be practically applied very often, but it is the basis of our country. And if we lose that - no - if we legislate specifically to take that away, then the terrorists really have won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home