Saturday, November 11, 2006

I like to shop

Yes my friends, this post is not about politics. After a month-long fever of thinking of little else, the rest of life is beginning to filter back in.

The first non-political thing I would like to share? My new love & religion: Uniqlo.

Uniqlo is a clothing store that is sort of like the Gap of Japan. Really it feels like a cross between H&M and Muji. (My slightly mis-spelled ode to Muji here.) If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about because you live on the West Coast and don't have those (hi Maya & Dave!), I mean well-made, fashionable, affordable clothes from Japan. Maybe a better analogy would be a cross between Target and Agnes B.? They tout that they're all about "basics," which apparently means "things you wear." The prices are about Gap-level, possible slightly cheaper - Jeans are $40, skirts in the $30 - $40 range. The outerwear is more expensive, but I don't think anything in the store is over $200. So that's the cold facts.

The emotion of it is that the stuff is fucking awesome. Most things are black, grey, cream, brown or navy (this is a plus for me). The lines are very simple and the cut is good. The fabrics are quality and the styles are just fashion-y enough, without being Gap-boxy-boring or H&M over-the-top disposable fashion. There's something ineffably cool about it. I just want to buy my whole wardrobe there and live in clean lines and muted colors with adorable, quirky details. I want everything there.

Oh yeah, and they sell good cashmere sweaters in 10 colors for $80 (or $50 on sale this weekend!).

I'm so in love with this place. The NY Flagship is in SoHo on Broadway & Prince. Better yet, if they succeed, they're planning to expand throughout the country! Let the buzz begin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lebatron said...

I enjoy shopping only when I know what I want - a TV, mp3 player, laptop, etc. I hate gonig to shopping malls just to pass time. It's so stupid.

November 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home