Thursday, February 17, 2005

I heart Jamaica

I am home.
Jamaica, in case you didn't know, rules. It's like a weird technicolor stage set of the Caribbean. Or no, that's not right. Let's get this straight - there is dire, crushing poverty in Jamaica, and I bet it is no fun. No one wants to live in a shack without water, no matter how picturesque. I understand that Jamaicans do not live their lives to be a cute set piece for my island fantasies.
But that aside, jeez, it is so, well, perfect.
I can't quite explain it, but even though there are shacks and all kinds of derelict type things all over, everything is beautiful. It's so clean! The little huts that are restaurants or bars are painted in rasta colors, music is everywhere, and it works.
Also, Negril has a mighty fine beach. We stayed at Rondel Village which was really nice. The rooms were big, the whole place was so clean, and the piece of beach was super-perfect. If I had any idea how to post pictures I would.
For food we would eat at a small rasta (real rastafarians! Crazy! Listening to reggae! Unironically!) shack off the beach called Niah's Kitchen (or, on another sign, Nyah) where they had great cheese, bean & chicken patties. They make each one from scratch and fry them on a wood fire, and then you sit at a picnic table and use the amazing sauce Niah makes, and watch the waves in the distance. So good.
So if you're thinking of going on vacation sometime, may I recommend Jamaica. Getting through the airport is a bitch but everything else was fantastic.