Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Brush with fame

Wow. So I don't know if you've heard about this, there was an event for George "Macaca" Allen (VA-Sen). At the end, in the lobby of the hotel, a guy came forward and asked a slightly rude question (I think along the lines of, "Why did you spit on your first wife?" which is apparently something from his sealed divorce records). Allen's people wrestled the guy to the ground in front of some cameras. Nice going!

Now the fun part is I know the guy!

His name is Mike Stark. He specializes in calling right-wing radio shows. He's really good at getting through the screeners and asking great questions and not being pushed around. I met him in Vegas at the Warner party at the Stratosphere (mmmm, chocolate fountains...). Warner had rented out all the rides and I was hot to try some of them (the Strat has all of these rides suspended outside 1,000 feet above the Strip). I'm not afraid of heights and had about five "Kos-mopolitans" (oh yes, they went there) and subsequently didn't think it was as scary as all that but Azulita felt otherwise. So I ran off to ride one of the rides on my own. It was this thing that you belt yourself into and then it extends on this arm out over open space and then spins. I was all alone in a little two-person chair, so a guy came over and said that no one should have to ride these things alone and strapped himself in next to me. That was Mike. I had seen his stuff on DKos before and we got to talking. He was really cool and funny and sweet, and about the farthest thing you could imagine from angry or insane or violent, or however they're going to try to portray him.
UPDATE:
Azulita would like you all to know that she wasn't scared, she just didn't want to rain Kos-mopolitans down on the Strip like anti-peristalsis from God.

So that's my story.

In related news, I saw Keanu Reeves with some blond lady a couple of blocks from my house the other day. It was sublime.
UPDATE:
Looks like a lot of people out there are hot for Keanu sightings. So, if you're looking for a little more description, I'm happy to provide the deets. It was on Broadway on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, somewhat farther uptown than is considered chic. Mr. Reeves was looking somewhat scruffy with the shaggy hair and facial hair thing going on, but he did not look at all homeless or weird. Oh no - he looked beautiful. Scruffy but unmistakable. Taller than I expected. The woman he was with had a lot of what looked like bleached blond hair. She was tall and attractive, but not in a Hollywood way - more alternative looking. I'm not sure if they were holding hands or walking arm & arm, but they were walking quite close to each other. Next time I'll write Gawker Stalker. Except not.

3 Comments:

Blogger azulita said...

azulita here to refute the claim that i thought the roller coaster "was as scary as all that." the only fear i had was puking all over the strip due to copious consumption of aforementioned warner-provided top shelf alcohol. and my stomach was totally threatening to do it. furthermore, i rode the ride at the sahara and i have a photo to prove it! :-D

November 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that's been cleared up, because I was starting to have my doubts about Azulita's courage and loyalty.

November 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

admittedly, i came for the keanu... but i'm staying for the commentary. nice blog.

November 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home