Wednesday, October 18, 2006

On Democrats and Knickerbockers

Hey guys - been a long time. Sorry - there's all this shit happening in the world and I'm too busy writing damn TPS reports to post.

It's interesting because, much like back when I used to keep a journal but stopped when I realized I only wrote when I was unhappy, when there is nothing directly outraging me I find I have little to post about. That's when we get these long gaps and/or the random philisophical musings. So the fact that the mid-term election news, at least right now, seems pretty positive, leaves me in a weird outrage-free zone. And yes, it looks good right now.

I wonder. If I'm watching a basketball game and the Knicks are ahead with a few minutes to go (ok - use your imagination - I know the Knicks haven't been ahead in a game since 2001) I can't relax. I can't believe that they'll win. Furthermore, I believe intensely and truly that my actions and my beliefs have a direct effect on the game. If I let myself get lazy and assume anything, it will make them lose. If they're on fire and I change the channel/change position etc. and they go cold, it's my fault. I believe this, and really it isn't any weirder to believe this than it is to believe that Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

So I wonder if politics works the same way. Will I jinx the whole country if I think we can win? You may say that I am not that powerful, but you know, butterfly wings and shit like that. So whatever good juju rituals you have, get 'em ready. We're in the beginning of the 4th quarter here and we're ahead by a few points, but Reggie goddamned Miller is on the other team. Those last two minutes are going to really count.

Give money. Give time. Let's make this a blowout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home