Thursday, July 13, 2006

Unsatisfied

I don't feel like my previous post said what I wanted to say. I haven't managed to verbalize why the whole Zidane thing is so fascinating. You could try reading this interview from 2004 for a little bit of the fascination. But there's something enormous about it. Maybe it was partly to do with it happening at in the most-watched event in the world, live. A collective shock went through the air. But maybe it's because it's so Shakespearean. Or maybe the pure focused rage, the intensity you can feel in that moment. Even on a shitty grainy youtube video it pops out of the screen. I wish I had seen it in HD. So maybe it's the purest expression of charisma. Or the ability of life, reality, to be genuinely shocking. Of men to be larger than the scripted roles we plan for them. Or the biggest badass move ever. Or as Azulita says, the way he steps back on his left foot afterwards. I can't explain it.
On the internets there are already websites, games, songs, photoshop pictures. The press has moaned about how he has tarnished his legend, but everything that has come from the bottom up seems to imply that he is becoming a folk hero. I hope that France is a place that loves a touch of gangsta like we do. I found a good sign in a French person's comment in the Guardian:
Why do we love even more Zizou? Because he said us football isn't just business, marketing, ad, football is madness, fury too. He could lose millions of euros in one second (I fancy Beckam too but I can't imagine David doing it, he couldn't forget his business'dutys). Because In my country we love the great magnificient and looser people. And we are very happy to see how Zidane deprived the journalists of their holystory....beacause we don't like the "saints", the too much positive heros, we love the men, the real men (like the liar an unfaithfull Mitterand) and for us, his violence wasen't machos'violence. I remenber when I was 8, I broke the glasses of a boy who said my father was old. I had to apologize but I never did regret. It's typical about this country and today Zidane showed he was very french.
After "ich bin ein berliner" , "je suis un Zidane"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home