Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Here we go

So it's really weird to be home. 
Azulita and I went off on our magical mystery tour and now we're back, right in the thick of things.  It's amazing to me sometimes that the world goes on even if I am not paying fanatic attention.  I see the appeal of just sort of chilling out.  It was a real vacation for me to not read the paper, not listen to the news first thing in the morning and last thing at night, not check google news ever hour.  Ironic that we went to a convention of bloggers and blogs and didn't bring a computer, but there you are. 
But now we're back in the soup.  Shit looks all crazy.  Looks like it went all crazy more or less the second we left Vegas.  We haven't covered any of Turdblossom Rove's escape from indictment, the Zarquawi (sp?) thing, the Heat and their championship, the World Cup, flag burning, or the crazy Kos-gate Newsweek/New Republic/David Brooks situation, and that's just for starters.  In the interest of time, I offer the following on those topics:

- Rove/Fitz/Plame: I don't know.  I was totally out of touch when it went down and have to read a whole bunch more to figure out what I think.  For a more informed opinion, I recommend (as with all things Plame) firedoglake. But my gut tells me that if Fitz didn't seek an indictment, it's because he didn't think he could get one.  Which means he was not able to find convincing evidence, either because there was none or because it was hidden.  You can guess which one I believe.

- The killing of the dude that we built up as the biggest terrorist mastermind in the history of ever-ness: whatever.  It was clear some time after they realized that they were never going to catch bin Laden that they needed some other, possibly more attainable, Big Bad.  So suddenly Zarquawi was everywhere.  He was behind like 5 bombings a day for a while there.  I don't doubt that he was mean enough for that, but I doubt he had enough time.  So now we've killed him, which proves nothing other than that some Iraqis got pissed off that he kept blowing their shit up and turned him in.  The tragedy is that what he started, or helped to start, or wanted to effect, was this horrible internecine war of competing brutality.  His goal was not just to get us out but to start a civil war. 
And yeah, I think the timing was weird and he looked like he had been killed months earlier and put on ice, but honestly I don't know if I care or if it matters.

- I hate Pat Riley, and I'm no fan of Shaq, but I want to lick Dwayne Wade all over, so I guess I can live with it.  How appropriate that the year the Knicks finished 6-283 or something the Heat should win.  But we're not even in a class to be considered rivals at this point.  God it hurts to say that.  Is that what it felt like to be a Red Sox fan all that time?

- While we're on the subject, I am also neutral on the Larry Brown thing.  Get rid of the freaking Dolans, then maybe things will change.

- The World Cup:  All my favorites are out, so you know, that sucks.  It would be trippy if England won, but I don't dare to even root as I seem to be a bad luck charm.  As usual, sports-wise.

- Flag burning: Don't care.  Although I am glad to say that Hillary, my senator, reversed herself and voted against an ammendment.  Some might find this too expedient, but I think it was the right thing to do, and so I give her a tip of the hat.

- All this Kos-bashing: this might take a longer post.  It's already past midnight and I have Colbert ready on the DVR.  Another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger azulita said...

i don't think the u-after-q rules applies in insurgent territory... zarqawi maybe?

June 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home